High School Dropouts: Cause And Prevention
High School Dropouts Outline
Thesis Statement: More and more students drop out each year. Those who dropped out have various reasons. The alarming rates of drop outs have led them to a bleak future wherein such incident requires the attention and immediate action of various school authorities.
a. Major factors for leaving school
• Was not motivated or inspired
• Classes were not interesting
• Missed too many days and could not catch up
• Spent time with people who were not interested in school
• Had too much freedom and not enough rules in life
• Was Failing in School
b. Characteristics of students who dropped out
• Socio-economic background
• Academic factors
• Occupational aspirations
• Predictive factors
o Grade retention
o Poor academic performance
o Moves during high school
o High absenteeism
o Feeling of students that no adults care his or her welfare
b. Consequences of dropping out of school
• Earning potential which led to dropouts the possibility to lead a bleak future due to the possibility of them to have less chance for job employment. And when they did find job, they will have to suffer life on low-paying occupations as well as offering little opportunity for upward mobility. Dropping out and severely impairing a young person’s job prospects and earnings potential, in turn, causes other secondary, indirect problems:
 reliance on public assistance
 become single parents
 possibility to land in jail or prison
c. What dropouts believe could improve student’s chances
• Opportunities for real-world learning (internships, service learning, etc.) to make classroom relevant
• Better teacher who keep classes interesting
• Smaller classes with more individual instruction
• Better communication between parents and school
• Parents make sure their kids go to school everyday
• Increase supervision at school
Concluding Statement: Education is very imperative on the lives of people thus it is important to finish schooling in order to achieve one’s dreams and lead a better life.
High School Dropouts: Causes and Prevention
Education plays an important role in maintaining or transforming political and social structure (Anderson and Randall, 1999). It is a significant determinant of the distribution of income and wealth. However, despite its importance and significance that it gives to the life of students for their future, schools and educational organizations are faced with several education-related issues that really need to be addressed. One of these is the issue of high school dropouts.
Every year, the number of dropout students in high school has escalated and is now an urgent issue for educators (Haring, Klockas, Kortering, 1992). According to Rumberger (1987), this issue of students dropping out of school would blight their economic welfare as they grow up (Rumberger, 1987 pg. 101). Furthermore, major studies revealed that this also would result for students to have an austere outlook in their future lives (Edgar, 1987; Hess, 1986) and is also possible for them to have a hard time finding stable jobs and supporting their financial needs especially to those who already have their own family.
The term dropout pertains to any person who has dropped out of school or who has been dropped out of school (Haring, Klockars, and Kortering, 1992). There are many causes associated with high school drop outs. The U.S. Department of Education Statistics revealed in their studies
(2010, 03). High School Dropouts: Cause And Prevention. EssaysForStudent.com. Retrieved 03, 2010, from http://www.essaysforstudent.com/Social-Issues/High-School-Dropouts-Cause-And-Prevention/64998.html
"High School Dropouts: Cause And Prevention" EssaysForStudent.com. 03 2010. 2010. 03 2010 <http://www.essaysforstudent.com/Social-Issues/High-School-Dropouts-Cause-And-Prevention/64998.html>.
"High School Dropouts: Cause And Prevention." EssaysForStudent.com. EssaysForStudent.com, 03 2010. Web. 03 2010. <http://www.essaysforstudent.com/Social-Issues/High-School-Dropouts-Cause-And-Prevention/64998.html>.
"High School Dropouts: Cause And Prevention." EssaysForStudent.com. 03, 2010. Accessed 03, 2010. http://www.essaysforstudent.com/Social-Issues/High-School-Dropouts-Cause-And-Prevention/64998.html.